Thursday, June 23, 2011

Paimona bideh

Inspired by what he saw, Khayyam fell in love with the Devine and wrote......
Rubai - Omar Khayyam


Paimona bideh key khumar astam
Man ashiq e chasm e mast e yaar astam
Bring me the chalice, so I may lose my self,
for, I'm in love with my Beloved’s intoxicating Gaze.

Chashmat key bagh e khutan memanaat
Royat ba gulab haye chaman memanaat
Your Eyes light up my secret garden
Your Face makes luminous every rose therein.

Gul roo ba kuneed waraq waraq boyee kaanee
Ba lalazar e be watan me yaraat
Face like a flower, it give petals their sweet fragrance
The mystic land of my Beloved is placeless.

Man ashiq e chasm e mast e yaar astam
Bedeh bedeh kay khumar astam
Paimona bedah key khumar astam
I'm in love with my Beloved’s intoxicating Gaze,
Bring! bring! so I may annihilate my self.
Bring me the chalice, so I may lose my self.

Az O madanet ager khaber me dashtaam
Pesh e qadamat kocha ragul me kashtaam
If I hear the message of Your sacred arrival,
Under Your feet, I will spread a carpet of flowers.

Gul me kashtam gul e gulab me kashtam
Khak e qadamt padi dam e war dashtaam
Spread flowers, Spread rose flowers,
I will sacrifice myself at the dust of Your feet.

Paimona bideh key khumar astam
Man ashiq e chasm e mast e yaar astam
Bring me the chalice, so I may lose my self,
I'm in love with my Beloved’s intoxicating Gaze.

Piece played in start is on Rubab/robab by Sadiq Sameer.
It is a lute-like musical instrument originally from Afghanistan. It derives its name from the Arab rebab which means "played with a bow" but the Central Asian instrument is plucked, and is distinctly different in construction. The rubab is mainly used by Pashtun, Tajik, Kashmiri and Iranian Kurdish classical musicians.
He played that piece so nicely, I'm in love with this instrument; I would surely like to listen some more Rubab music!

Sweet voices of Zebunnisa Bangash and Haniya Aslam(Pakistan) do justice to beautiful words by Omar khayyam and increases it's beauty even more.

What can I say about Omar Khayyam? Many know him as a intelligent Persian poet, he also played a role of mathematician, astronomer and philosopher, wrote treatises on mechanics, geography, and music.
He is thought to have been born into a family of tent makers, which he would make this into a play on words later in life:
Khayyám, who stitched the tents of science,
Has fallen in grief's furnace and been suddenly burned,
The shears of Fate have cut the tent ropes of his life,
And the broker of Hope has sold him for nothing!
– Omar Khayyám

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just listened to this song and reached here through a google search about the instrument. 'Rubab' - kaay mast nav aahe na!!

It's a small world!

Nile said...

ho nav pan mast ahe ani instrument suddha !!